Re: Making AUCTeX ELPA releases from the master branch

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: Making AUCTeX ELPA releases from the master branch
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2024 16:28:51 +0200

Arash Esbati <arash@gnu.org> writes:

Hi Arash,

>>   - There's also a completely different alternative: make the
>>     externals/elpa the new "main" branch and drop master and tarball
>>     releases altogether.  Is there still a justification for having
>>     them?
>
> Reg. dropping master: Do you mean we use ELPA as our master repo?

Ah, no.  What I mean is renaming the externals/elpa branch to "main"
(which I currently have set to push to
git.savannah.gnu.org/srv/git/emacs/elpa.git) in our own git
(git.sv.gnu.org:/srv/git/auctex.git) and then use that as the same way
as we're using master right now (and just leave master as it is right
now).

And on ELPA's elpa-packages, we'd replace the `:manual-sync t` with
`:branch main` so that on every push to our new main branch a new
package version would appear on the ELPA devel archive and a new normal
ELPA package whenever one of us increments the Version: header in
auctex.el on the new main branch.

> I'm not sure what that means, but many projects use an external repo
> and then sync a release with ELPA by bumping the version number, IIUC.
> We can go that route as well, right?

Exactly.

Bye,
Tassilo