Re: Why was handling of program_prefix changed?

From: Ian Lance Taylor
Subject: Re: Why was handling of program_prefix changed?
Date: 06 Feb 2002 11:08:22 -0800

Akim Demaille <address@hidden> writes:

> :(  It's bad that it only happens now.  Back then, the idea was indeed
> to update everybody, and to simplify all the interfaces.  It's a pity
> the clarification of the semantics does not go up to the top level :(

The semantics of the Cygnus configure script can be adjusted to follow
the new autoconf semantics.  However, the Cygnus configure script
invokes sub-configure scripts in different modes depending upon how
the subdirectory should be build--for the build machine, the host
machine, or the target machine.  The algorithm for doing that used to
be simple, and now becomes slightly more complex, because we now must
pass different sets of options to different subdirectories.

Ian