incomplete docs

From: Stefan Seefeld
Subject: incomplete docs
Date: Mon, 20 May 2002 22:03:15 -0500

hi there,

I'm in the process of changing a set of
configure.ac files to make them compatible
with autoconf 2.52. Looking through the
generated configure files I see a set of
output variables all related to the new
AC_INIT macro:

PACKAGE_NAME
PACKAGE_TARNAME
PACKAGE_VERSION
PACKAGE_STRING
PACKAGE_BUGREPORT

Since I remember some warning from developers,
I double check with the current docs to see what
they have to say concerning these variables (It was
said only documented features are public features...).

Unfortunately, the above variables are nowhere listed
in the docs.

Does this mean I shouldn't be using them ? Or is this
an omission in the autoconf documentation ?

Thanks,
                Stefan

PS: oh, and the TARNAME optional variable to AC_INIT
    isn't even documented for the AC_INIT macro...