CVS version is not less verbose

From: William S Fulton
Subject: CVS version is not less verbose
Date: Sat, 19 Apr 2003 23:23:05 +0100

I see that the CVS version of Automake has been modified to make it less verbose for FASTDEP dependencies. I feel that the implementation is a worse solution compared with the current release as it does not honour 'make -s'; the compiler command line still appears on the screen because it uses echo, making it rather verbose when it is expected to be silent.

I frequenctly use 'make -s' otherwise warnings are easily missed as they appear amongst all the compilation commands. For developers compiling the same files over and over the compilation command is unimportant obscuring noise compared to the compiler's output.

I suggest undoing this change or finding an alternative. I'd suggest one, but I can't see how it can be done. Sorry.

William