Re: Running a plain ./config.status at top level

From: Eric Siegerman
Subject: Re: Running a plain ./config.status at top level
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2003 13:27:17 -0400

On Wed, Apr 30, 2003 at 08:26:52AM +0200, Akim Demaille wrote:

> [For the records]

> [About $? in Make rule]
>  adl> That less accurate, though.  $? works at least on GNU, Solaris,
>  adl> *BSD, OSF/Tru64, and HP-UX.  (It's POSIX, of course.)

Solaris 7's make(1) says:
>       o  make  attempts to derive values for the dynamic macros
>          `$*',  `$<',  and `$?', while processing explicit tar-
>          gets.  It uses the same method as for implicit  rules;
>          in  some  cases  this  can  lead  either to unexpected
>          values, or to an empty value being  assigned.   (Actu-
>          ally, this was true for earlier versions as well, even
>          though the documentation stated otherwise.)

So although $? might work in testing, it might not be wise to
depend on it (since they're not kind enough to elaborate on "in
some cases").

>  adl> [...] switch
>  adl> back to `ls -1t' (or `ls -1dt', is the `d' important?)

Since it's files that are being ls'ed, the "d" isn't important.
But it doesn't hurt, and is useful defensive programming should
the line ever get accidentally applied to a directory.  (IIR, it
goes back to 6th Edition, so I presume it's portable :-)

But then, why not do the whole thing the "make" way, using "::"
rules, rather than adding yet more embedded shell-scripting?
Something like this (untested):

## These rules remake the Makefile.in.
%MAKEFILE-IN%:: %MAINTAINER-MODE% %MAKEFILE-AM% %MAKEFILE-IN-DEPS% $(ACLOCAL_M4)
         cd $(top_srcdir) && \
           $(AUTOMAKE) --%STRICTNESS% %USE-DEPS%; \

%MAKEFILE-IN%:: %MAINTAINER-MODE% $(top_srcdir)/%CONFIGURE-AC%
         cd $(top_srcdir) && \
           $(AUTOMAKE) --%STRICTNESS% %USE-DEPS% %MAKEFILE-AM-SOURCES%; \

--

|-_|/  >   Eric Siegerman, Toronto, Ont.        address@hidden
|  |  /
My Wine works.  However it crashes about half the time on startup.
Apparently their simulation of windoze API is getting too accurate.  :)
        - Kyle Sallee