Re: automake/373: race condition with subdir objects:

From: Alexandre Duret-Lutz
Subject: Re: automake/373: race condition with subdir objects:
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2003 00:27:47 +0200

>>> "Robert" == Robert Collins <address@hidden> writes:

 Robert> the following will break on distclean aith automake 1.7.5:
 Robert> Makefile.am:

 Robert> SUBDIRS=a
 Robert> AUTOMAKE_OPTIONS = subdir-objects

 Robert> bin_PROGRAMS=foo
 Robert> foo_SOURCES=a/foo.cc

 Robert> a/Makefile.am
 Robert> bin_PROGRAMS=bar
 Robert> bar_SOURCES=bar.cc

 Robert> The failure is because subdirs are distcleaned first, and a/.deps is rm
 Robert> -rf'd before the top level makefile runs.

 Robert> Possible solutions include:
 Robert> distclean prefix first, not postfix.
 Robert> change the distclean process to not rm -rf the .deps dir.

 Robert> I don't have time to hack up a test case just yet... sorry.

 Robert> Cheers,
 Robert> Rob

This is PR/373.  I'm quoting your full mail for Gnats and put you
into the CC: list of the PR.

Changing the cleaning order will not work: the symmetric problem
also exists (see the comments in lib/am/subdirs.am before the
definition of distclean-recursive).

--
Alexandre Duret-Lutz