RE: Introduction and bug report

From: Jeroen Frijters
Subject: RE: Introduction and bug report
Date: Thu, 11 Jul 2002 18:19:00 +0200

Hi Mark,

Mark Wielaard wrote:
> Cool! You are targeting the Microsoft dotNet platform at the moment.
> Have you looked at dotGNU and/or Mono?

Yes, I follow both projects (superficially). I tried running my code
under Mono, but their Reflection.Emit code isn't ready yet. I haven't
tried the dotGNU code.

> How do you handle the native code?

I use Managed C++, so JNI will only work on Microsoft's implementation.
Pure Java should eventially work on Mono (and possibly dotGNU) as well.
I don't use JNI for the classpath native code, but instead reimplement
the native methods in C# using the .NET framework.

> I saw you have put up an archive with your own modified Classpath. Do
> you have a list of other changes you made? I will try to take
> a look at it later.

I discovered a more serious problem with the current file i/o
implementation and I rewrote FileDescriptor, FileInputStream,
FileOutputStream & RandomAccessFile. The original implementation has a
problem with "ownership" of the handle. Since it is possible to get the
FileDescriptor from a FileIn/OutputStream it is possible to close a
handle, yet still have a stream that "owns" that handle, this is a big
problem. I fixed this by moving the ownership of the handle to
FileDescriptor (and all the native methods as well).

Regards,
Jeroen