Re: SCSL and FSF

From: Mark Wielaard
Subject: Re: SCSL and FSF
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2004 01:20:32 +0100

Hi all,

On Wed, 2004-02-25 at 00:45, Mark Wielaard wrote:
> Please give me a couple of days to contact the right people. And to make
> sure we formulate our questions and concerns coherently. I want to avoid
> an ESR style letter which I think is not helpful. Hopefully we can start
> a dialog that helps both the people that care about the Free Software
> movement and people that care about standardization of jave-like
> platforms. I'll make sure to contact Onno with some specific issues in
> the next two weeks

Tom Tromey already made some excellent points in a comment on that
javalobby article:
http://www.javalobby.org/thread.jspa?messageID=91790015&threadID=11559&forumID=61
The one thing that I want to add is that it would be nice to have a
formal statement from Sun that they will not sue a project for studying
their code and implementing something compatible. (This is the biggest
complaint we get from people that want to help us, but that we currently
turn down because we want to have a really clear clean-room policy.)

The reason I said it would take some time (even though we do know pretty
well what we want to ask clarification on) is that I want to run the
request/letter through FSF legal and point to specific JCP
agreements/clauses and/or click-through licenses that people have to
accept. That way we will hopefully get a much more specific reply. I did
already discuss JCP issues with RMS and some other people a few weeks
ago so we can hopefully come up with some really specific questions
pretty quickly.

Besides that I need some sleep now and won't have any classpath time
tomorrow. But I'll make sure to start the real discussion on Thursday
when I will have time to more coherently formulate our concerns. Please
let me know of any specifics that you think are important/relevant for
this discussion with Sun.

Cheers,

Mark