Re: GNUstep Solaris versus Apple MacOSX (performance comparison)

From: Nicola Pero
Subject: Re: GNUstep Solaris versus Apple MacOSX (performance comparison)
Date: Wed, 25 Dec 2002 15:50:05 +0000 (GMT)

> > The recent gcc compilers are well know to be very slow, so that could
> > be why compilation on solaris is so slow.
>
> Do you refer to 3.3 or 3.x in general?

As far as I can tell, the newer the version, the slower the compiler.
:-/

The main problem is that nobody really knows why GCC is that slow.

Fortunately, there is a wide awareness now that GCC is really too slow, so
I'd expect quite some work to be done in that area (hopefully coupled with
work on improving the general design of the compiler internals), resulting
in future GCC releases to be faster.