Re: Unimplemented AppKit classes

From: Tobias
Subject: Re: Unimplemented AppKit classes
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2003 14:04:42 +0100

> From another (*n*x/*step) point of view, though, these classes are
> superfluous and can even be harmful.
>
> Covering NSToolBar: It's a user-customizable toolbar like you see in
> innumerable Mac and Windows applications. Easy to write, to be sure. Makes
> perfect sense in those contexts, also. And yet, that's code that is
> bulking up an already-large library and being a (potential) source of
> bugs, all for something that doesn't even make sense in software built on
> *nix principles.
toolbars dont make sense in unix/next applications?
huh?
you dont like the toolbar in mail.app, projectbuilder.app... and most other
NeXT-apps
you dont have to, but there was a toolbar even in good old next apps.
but without such a nice api, and you couldnt alter it.
with nstoolbar you can.

btw:
we are gnusteppers, thus we may find a better solution.
we could provide the nstoolbar api, but additionally provide the possibility,
to display this toolbar everywhere you want.
on the top of your main window (as mac os x)
at the bottom, on the left, on the right
or as a seperate tool window (as in virtuoso and icon builder as far as i
remember).

> Likewise, NSStatusBar. It's mind-boggling that this class (added in
> "Jaguar", I believe) even exists -- it's antithetical to the concepts
> inherent in *step. *step applications aren't supposed to have modes that
> need status information displayed, because they're supposed to follow the
> KISS ("Keep It Simple, Stupid!") principle.
nsstatusbars are not only for status messages.
the name is a bit misleading.
look at [1].

it is not practical in gnustep/X, the way apple designed it,
but we could find a nice workaround, e.g.: by employing cards.
simple windows without borders, which have a nsdrawer (again this godamn
topic), to display things...
btw: this will be one of my next topics, so be sure to hear again of nsdrawers
(hehehe)

> Extensions are *great*, but only if they're good ones. GNUstep ought to be
> even more NeXT-like than NeXT was, IMO.
i am more equal than you!