Re: Shared application menu

From: Banlu Kemiyatorn
Subject: Re: Shared application menu
Date: Wed, 08 Oct 2003 22:34:50 +0700

Lars Sonchocky-Helldorf wrote:

As for NSToolBar:

This is a per window thing, that means an application may sport different kind of windows of which each kind can have it's personal toolbar. (An example that comes to my mind is Camino which has different toolbars for it's browser and download windows).
I know that it is a per window thing but we cannot focus 2 windows (or can we?). My idea was changing the top screen tool bar everytime a window is focused. Leaving it in blank if that window doesn't have a tool bar. (The status bar items always be shown on the right side)

A toolbar on the top of the screen implies global validity of the toolbar items. Since it is done different from that in Mac OS X it would create another hurdle for porting applications.

From the current usage of NSToolBar in MacOSX, what is the example of hurdle that would be possible according to my approach? The only problem I can see is that you can't click the tool bar item if you didn't focus the window first. Thus I think that's a
counter-intuitive feature.

Btw. you might think it is done like you propose in MS Windows for instance. That is only half way true: Even MS Word and MS Excel differ in the way they handle this. MS Word has a toolbar at the top of each window like in Mac OS X but MS Excel has a master window with a toolbar that contains the document windows. Such an inconsistency is worse than any other consistent way to do this. MS Windows should not be a role model for user interfaces (like for KDE or GNOME).
I have no idea about Windows interface since I never use it. Is that related to the per-window
issue mentioned above?

4) the edge of screen should be used to
increase productivity in a way.

This works only if the buttons etc. really reach to the edge of the screen and are not - like it is done in the MS Windows taskbar - one or two pixels away from it. I think MS did this because it looks better this way - and it really does. Having some buttons sitting at the very top of the screen would look really clumpsy IMHO. And as you can tell from many requests and a lot of different projects on the web not only the feel but also the look is important to most users.
Hmmm. Then why putting an icon of NSToolBar 2 pixels away from the edge of the screen? And why make it looks like a button? Can't it just looks like status item or the apple logo
on OSX?