Image support for Carbon Emacs (Re: Consolidation of image support)

From: YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu
Subject: Image support for Carbon Emacs (Re: Consolidation of image support)
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2004 21:10:33 +0900 (JST)

> Actually, I've been porting the image support code to Carbon Emacs,
> and I think it's almost ready now although some features are not
> implemented yet.  I was planning to send the patch as soon as my
> assignment paper is accepted, and currently I'm waiting for the form
> to be delivered to me.

My assignment paper seems to be accepted.  Because I've never made
larger patches to emacs, I'd like to post the patch for comments, both
on style and code. (That was suggested by Kim F. Storm.  Thanks.)

  Current status:
  - I tested it on Mac OS X 10.1.5, 10.2.8, and 10.3.2.
  - Supported image types:
    XBM, PBM, PNG, JPEG, TIFF, and GIF are supported out of the box.
    XBM and PBM are self-contained as in other platforms.
    PNG (in 10.2 and 10.3) and JPEG use Quartz 2D functions.
    PNG (in 10.1), TIFF, and GIF use QuickTime Graphics Importers and
    Movie Toolbox.
    You can also use libpng and so on by defining some flags such as
    HAVE_PNG and providing libraries, but I don't recommend that and
    there is no support by configure.  (Actually, I used only these
    libraries in earlier versions.)
  - Unsupported image types: XPM and PostScript.
  - Stipples and color maps are not implemented.
  - Tool bar can be displayed with PBM images (try `M-x
    tool-bar-mode'), but no tooltips.
  - The patch includes changes about code conversions with respect
    to font names, which I posted to emacs-pretest-bug last year.
    http://mail.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-pretest-bug/2003-01/msg00112.html
  - I also added some changes to make compilation with MPW-GM in Mac
    OS 9 successful.  But I cannot try to run it because it does not
    run on a machine with more than 256 MB of RAM as mac/INSTALL says.

                                     YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu
                                address@hidden