Re: Do we need C's extern in Emacs Lisp?

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Do we need C's extern in Emacs Lisp?
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2022 00:26:20 -0400

  > Currently we do not have any equivalent in Lisp.  For example, if

  >     (defvar foo)

  > is in a Lisp file, then subsequent use of foo will generate an unknown
  > variable warning.

Could you describe the scenario more clearly?  What sort of use, and where?
The reason I ask is that details would affect whether we judge
that the actual behavior is problematical or helpful.

  > I think it would be useful to have some sort of "extern" facility in our
  > Lisp.

This raises some questions:

1. How would you envision using it?

2. What would we do currently?

3. What would be the advantage of using the new construct instead?