Re: New Package for NonGNU-ELPA: clojure-ts-mode

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: New Package for NonGNU-ELPA: clojure-ts-mode
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2023 00:41:35 +0300

On 26/08/2023 23:14, Philip Kaludercic wrote:
I only mention this, because I don't agree with the premise that this
boils down to "mailing-list" or "web-interface".  While it is true that
a lot of people are uncertain and afraid of sending a message to a
mailing list, this fear is unreasonable and worth dispelling.

It's not so much a matter of being afraid. We're not squirrels. Using Debbugs is an exercise in frustration because a random user won't know how to respond to an existing issue (finding them is clunky, but doable), how to respond to a particular comment without having been subscribed to the mailing list previously (there's no way to do that, and it's a common feature in most bug trackers and discussion platforms), how to properly respond to an email from a bug tracker that does arrive in your inbox, how to avoid dropping people from conversations, how to avoid being dropped themselves at some point. And so on.

Anybody who doesn't have enough patience to google how to do the most basic things, we just don't see.

Another thing we're missing, is an easy-to-access list of most recent conversations and bug reports. Which for many projects partially serves as an invitation to join in, too (as long as it's easy to do from there).

I think there is a reasonable point to be made that the CA prevents
certain valuable contributions from entering Emacs/GNU ELPA.  IANAL, so
I don't know if a sign-off procedure would be a sufficient alternative?
But if I am a bit cynical, I cannot deny that having a CA-system can
also help filtering out a lot of noise and low-quality code (I'd claim
that the average quality of a ELPA package is higher than that of
packages on MELPA...).

Virtually any barrier would increase the average quality of the code. If we required everybody to do fifty squats, film that, and attach together with the first patch submission, that would also increase the average quality, filtering out the less motivated.

I'm not sure the cost-benefit ratio is good, though.