Re: Native compilation on as default?

From: brickviking
Subject: Re: Native compilation on as default?
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2023 16:55:08 +1300

On Thu, 26 Oct 2023 at 15:28, Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> wrote (in part):
Building Emacs with native compilation is a lot more fragile
than without.  Meanwhile, many users don't need it because Emacs
is fast enough for us without it.

Theefore, we should not enable native compilation by default.

To add to what RMS has stated, I'm on an older machine with not a lot of room left on the primary partition. I understand that's on me, but I wanted to add my notes about my local experience.

I compiled Emacs as a test with AOT turned on, and found that it started creating *.eln files. Lots of them. I recompile Emacs on a fairly regular basis, and after one compile/install of Emacs, I noted at least an extra 40Mb after about an hour's running with erc, org-mode and ef-themes (amongst others). On my older 2008-era machine that's starting to really show its age, the extra .eln files were not really worth it for me. I wish I had better news, I've been wanting a sped-up emacs for a little while now. To be fair, I _thought_ I saw a speed increase in what amounts to display code, but I'm not a programmer, mainly a user.

Is there a facility to purge out-of-date versions of the .eln files for a version that is installed later, and is that facility easy enough to look for via C-h f? This might make native compilation easier to swallow.

Regards, brickviking
(Emacs 29.1.90, GTK3, Linux-x86_64)