Re: Lisp files that load cl-lib in problematical ways

From: Andrea Corallo
Subject: Re: Lisp files that load cl-lib in problematical ways
Date: Tue, 07 Nov 2023 05:51:57 -0500

Andrea Corallo <acorallo@gnu.org> writes:

> Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:
>
>>> From: Andrea Corallo <acorallo@gnu.org>
>>> Cc: Stephen Berman <stephen.berman@gmx.net>,  incal@dataswamp.org,
>>>   emacs-devel@gnu.org
>>> Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2023 09:44:51 -0400
>>>
>>> Okay, I confirm that comp.el loads cl-lib, so any jit compilation
>>> triggered loads that.
>>
>> This is OK, not a problem.
>>
>>> OTOH one thing we could do, if that's important, is to split the code
>>> that only drives the async compilation (that actually happens in a
>>> subprocess) so we don't load cl-lib in the Emacs the user is actually
>>> using.  This should not be that hard (optimism mode on).
>>
>> I don't see the need, but I will not object if you want to make such
>> changes.
>
> Okay I'll think about it, might be a positive change even leaving aside
> the cl-lib discussion.

Okay in scratch/comp-run we have a branch that does not require to load
comp.el for jit compilations and for installing already existing
trampolines (compiling a new trampolines indeed require to load the
compiler).

It achieves that adding comp-run.el for runtime dependencies.

Still the compiler is loaded for C-h f, to solve that I think we'd need
to add a third file (ex comp-common.el), not sure it's worth ATM.

BR

  Andrea