Re: Navigating completions from minibuffer

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: Navigating completions from minibuffer
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2023 09:36:18 +0200

>>> Probably we have to make RET more smart, so that when more editing
>>> was performed in the minibuffer after the completions were displayed,
>>> then to use the minibuffer contents with exit-minibuffer,
>>> not an obsolete completion candidate that remains selected.
>>
>> Interesting solution!  So if the last relevant command was changing the
>> selected candidate, then RET submits the candidate; if the last relevant
>> command was editing the minibuffer, then RET submits the minibuffer
>> text.
>>
>> What about the case where I type some text, switch between some
>> completion candidates in *Completions*, then decide I don't want any of
>> them and hit RET to submit the minibuffer text?  That's something that
>> works today.  Can we support that somehow?
>
> Currently the suggested way to avoid selecting a highlighted candidate
> is to close the completions window with C-g, i.e. it adheres
> to the principle “what you see is what you get” - when you see
> a highlighted candidate then you will get it, otherwise you will get
> the minibuffer contents.

So there are at least 2 variants what to do when completing-read is used
as selection rather than completion:

1. On editing the minibuffer close the completions window as expired.

Shouldn't 'completion-auto-help' support this case?
Should it have a new value 'close'?
Or need to create a new option 'completion-auto-close'?

2. AFAIR, 'completion-auto-update' already closes the completions window
if none of completion candidates matches the contents of the minibuffer?

So editing the minibuffer never causes a situation where a highlighted
candidate doesn't match the minibuffer contents?

And typing some characters to narrow down the completions
always keeps the highlighted candidate selected?

Then there is no problem.