Re: Turning on savehist-mode by default

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Turning on savehist-mode by default
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2023 10:23:09 +0200

> From: Po Lu <luangruo@yahoo.com>
> Cc: sbaugh@catern.com,  emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2023 15:27:29 +0800
>
> Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:
>
> > I disagree that there's a disadvantage in that, let alone a grave one.
> > I'm using desktop.el, which does both of the above, for many years,
> > and have yet to see any problems with that.
>
> I know this is a disadvantage for one subset of our users, because I
> often witness them kill Emacs in precisely the fashion I mentioned
> earlier.  And that's if the lock files strewn everywhere belonging to
> long-dead Emacs sessions aren't evidence enough.

People are free to shoot themselves in the foot, but they shouldn't
then come back to use crying that it hurts.  If someone kills Emacs
with a fatal signal, they should not be surprised that their files are
sometimes corrupted.

Anyway, IME, the files are usable in the next session even if the
previous session was terminated abnormally, like when AC power goes
down.  I don't remember even a single instance of having unusable
files saved by a timer or kill-emacs-hook even though my sessions are
not always terminated normally.