Re: Upcoming merge of adaptive-wrap

From: Po Lu
Subject: Re: Upcoming merge of adaptive-wrap
Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2024 17:34:38 +0800

Dmitry Gutov <dmitry@gutov.dev> writes:

> It's an order of a magnitude more involved than 'M-x list-packages'
> followed by C-s.

And installing Emacs was no doubt several orders of magnitude more so.

> Through Google -- maybe.

This assessment of our users' problem-solving capabilities is not the
correct attitude to take in developing Emacs, or any software that is
not expressly designed for such individuals, as from it the logical
conclusion to draw is that there is no value in documentation itself.

How would they learn of the existence of the package list, for instance,
or where to click and what to type to display it?

> Because its title is a good match for whatever the user would search
> for? What would they search for, BTW?

The emails in this thread contain every word present in the package list
summary, so presumably the same words they would search for within the
package list; but that was meant as a rhetorical statement, not to be
taken literally.

> You renamed the package to visual-wrap, so perhaps the term "visual"
> could help (instead of "smart"?).

Not really.  The room available in package descriptions is inadequate:
descriptions are more helpful than a list of keywords, which is the best
that can be hoped in that limited space.

> There's also a mistake in the description now: visual-fill-mode does
> not exist.

Thanks.

> The issue is not reading a particular NEWS entry, but finding it.

There are none so blind as those who will not venture to see.

But fortunately for us, incorrigibly blind (in this sense) individuals
are far and few between.