Re: Should native compilation be enabled by default?

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: Should native compilation be enabled by default?
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2024 16:21:32 +0100

Colin Baxter wrote:

> My argument is against the notion that default native
> compilation is a "no brainer". I suggest it's a "some
> brainer". There are issues about what libgccjit flag to pass
> when compiling, as was pointed out in the link, whether two
> years old or not.

The installation and compilation process must always be made
as simple and unobtrusive as possible for the user, avoiding
the overdose of messages.

That is the one concern I can think of with native
compilation.

I configure like this,

  --with-native-compilation=aot

then installation takes a little longer but you don't get all
the messages later on. Since everything is are to be compiled
anyway, I don't see why that has to be done little by little.
Better to just do it once and be done with it IMO.

--
underground experts united
https://dataswamp.org/~incal