Re: Faces for strong, emph and friends in Info?

From: Robert Pluim
Subject: Re: Faces for strong, emph and friends in Info?
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2024 18:11:25 +0200

    Eli> Here's the first hit I found:

    Eli>   ‘woman-use-topic-at-point’
    Eli>        A boolean value that defaults to ‘nil’.  If non-‘nil’ then the
    Eli>        ‘woman’ command uses the word at point as the topic, _without
    Eli>        interactive confirmation_, if it exists as a topic.

    Eli> We never wrap @emph and @strong in @w, so it's small wonder this
    Eli> happens quite a lot.

In the original texi "without interactive confirmation" is all on the
same line, so this one is understandable.

And thereʼs indentation in the resulting info file, which means when
we use '_' to simulate italics, the indentation does not look good. So
hereʼs what needs deciding:

- what do we fontify? There are instances of eg @strong{Warning:}
where I could argue that the ':' should be outside the @strong{}. So
we either match ?: (and ?.) as well, or move those chars outside the
{}

- do we match across newlines? (in fact, in info buffers, we have to
make an effort to not match across newlines, since newline has
whitespace syntax there, so [[:space:]] matches it.

- if we match across newlines, do we go around wraping @w around all
the multiword @emph and @strong? (could we persuade the texinfo
project to do this for us or emit a warning?)

- how configurable does this need to be? Iʼd say a single toggle is
enough, but Drew might disagree. I guess adding a defcustom for the
matching regexp is easy enough as well.

Robert

PS "This looks like a nice simple change, I have a small amount of
time" always seems to turn into something much bigger with Emacs :)