emacs-erc

Stray/unreferenced timeouts in erc-cmd-IGNORE?

From: Alcor
Subject: Stray/unreferenced timeouts in erc-cmd-IGNORE?
Date: Mon, 01 Apr 2024 18:01:39 +0200

Hi Erc'ers,

in erc.el (erc-cmd-IGNORE), the following lines exist
(rev. a5fbb652ed3614d6735015551564f32b80e42c53):

        (let ((timeout
               (erc--read-time-period
                "Add a timeout? (Blank for no, or a time spec like 2h): "))
              (buffer (current-buffer)))
          (when timeout
            (run-at-time timeout nil
                         (lambda ()
                           (erc--unignore-user user buffer))))

One thing immediately comes to mind: The timeout is unreferenced, and is
not stored in any (a)list, so it's not possible to cancel it.

If I'm reading the code correctly, it does not seem to check if a
timeout for unignoring the given nick already exists either. So
re-ignoring the same nick with a different timeout would create an
*additional* timeout.

Is this right? Please do tell if this is a known issue, and whether I
should open a bug for it.

Cheers,
-A