Re: MathML and ODT export: inline possible?

From: Leo Butler
Subject: Re: MathML and ODT export: inline possible?
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2024 15:38:18 +0000

On Thu, Apr 18 2024, "Fraga, Eric" <e.fraga@ucl.ac.uk> wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I am having (for my sins) to write some Word documents.  I don't even
> have Word on my system but that's by the by.  The documents have some
> mathematical expressions.  In the past, I have used LaTeX to create
> images of these expressions (and hence my earlier post today).  But I'm
> told this is no longer good enough.  Sigh.
>
> So I've started playing with MathML and ODT export.  This is actually
> working quite nicely although writing equations in MathML is ponderous
> [1].
>
> The question I have is: can I replace the link to a Math ML file (which
> does work, as noted in the org info manual) with the actual Math ML code
> inline within the org file?  If so, how?  I would rather not have
> separate files lying around.
>
> Thank you,
> eric
>
> Footnotes:
> [1] exporting LaTeX fragments directly, via latexmlmath, does not
>      actually work very well at all.  The text passed by org is wrong
>      basically.  And latexmlmath gets easily confused, it seems.  I'd
>      rather work with the MathML directly in the end.

Eric,
I think there is a bug in the way the exporter handles odt fragments.

Explanation: Maxima can print output in mathml. Your question inspired
me to try to craft an example. I came up with the attached org file.

The first two subsections of it exports fine to html (replace "export
odt" with "export html"). But when I export to odt, something weird
happens: contents.xml contains the fragment of mathml, but it is not
displayed in libreoffice. On the other hand, the snippet in the third
sub-section, that is saved to file, is handled correctly (the somewhat
mangled formatting is a bug in Maxima's mathml printer).

Leo