[Gnu-arch-users] Some "How Do I" questions

From: John Goerzen
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Some "How Do I" questions
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2003 22:03:50 -0500

Hi,

I've gone through the Arch tutorial and have a few basic questions
about its use:

1. I would like to get the full contents of logs that pertain to a
   file -- but only to one file.  That is, logs from
   changesets/patches that do not pertain to foo.c should be ignored.
   (Analogous to cvs log foo.c)

2. I would like to get, in standard unified diff format, diffs from
   certain files or the whole tree from any arbitrary version to the
   next.  This is often useful for sending patches to people that do
   not use Arch and is something I would do on a regular basis.  I
   understand the inherent limitations in the format, but need the
   capability anyway.  CVS analog: cvs diff -r1 -r5 file.c

3. When might someone wanting to branch off the mainline create a new
   repository as opposed to just using tla tag?

4. How can I create freeform tags?  Ie, cvs tag REL_4_0_1 or
   cvs tag BEFORE_CHANGING_BIGSTUFF?

-- John