[Gnu-arch-users] Re: project hosts, also "truenames"

From: Tom Lord
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: project hosts, also "truenames"
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2003 19:24:39 -0700 (PDT)

    > From: Miles Bader <address@hidden>

    > Tom Lord <address@hidden> writes:
    > > Given that I've spent about a month now just trying to get a tar
    > > bundle to an FTP site, I'm not holding my breath in anticipation of
    > > the ability to make even the slightest tweak.
    >
    > What's the deal with that, anyway?  I'd have thunk that there's a simple
    > `upload a new tar file' button on the project maintainer's page, but I
    > guess not.

The recent security breach events horked the entire world.

    > Is there some known problem that has to be resolved before
    > your tar-file can be added?  Have your emails been getting ignored?  Do
    > they keep promising but never do anything?

Not ignored at all.  Quite polite and even, dare I say it, privileged
attention.  Just on "GNU time", that's all.  I'm posturing a little
bit to make an out-of-band point -- which seems to have been made:

Today, in fact, brought some new progress.    We may well be over this
hump within the next day or two.

    > I know the savannah maintainers are probably overworked, but surely
    > this only requires about 30s of their time, and not much thought...

Well, just as a generic observation -- 30s of "actual work" for someone in a
hub role can translate into a much greater burden than you might
expect.   It's 30s of actual work -- preceded by some much larger
amount of thought.

    > Grrr, I long for the old days when everybody just knew the root password;
    > fucking moron script kiddies...

Yup.

        % telnet prep.ai.mit.edu
        login: rms
        password: rms
        $ ls
        [....]
        $ more .emacs
        [... almost no output ...]
        $ # figures.
        $

Worked like a fuckin' charm (until it didn't).   Giddy little thrill
for a boy-scout geek elite[1] in a much smaller internet world.

(And then it was "the password is on a whiteboard in kendell square"
and then after that it was the current hell.  "Nothing succeeeds like
success" -- but also, nothing fails like success, either.)

-t

[1] "boy scout" sans the homophobia, sexism, and religous bigotry, of
    course.   "boy scout" in the sense of "Upright Citizens' Brigade".