[Gnu-arch-users] Re: Archives use cases

From: Miles Bader
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Archives use cases
Date: 08 Oct 2003 07:14:18 +0900

Clark McGrew <address@hidden> writes:
> Does anybody have experience dealing with archives with large numbers of
> categories?[1]  How have you organized the project?  What are your
> experiences keeping rein on category naming issues?

Keep in mind that it seems to be an implicit assumption in arch that
archives will tend to be developer/time specific, so while some problems
might require naming conventions to be used for category/branch names,
there will tend to be an upper bound on how many names are actually in
any particular archive (unless you're absurdly prolific :-).

As a minor point, I tend to think of category names as being `general',
and would tend to push the `descriptive' parts of names into the branch;
where you had:

    superk-talk-funding--doe--03.09
    superk-talk-funding--doe--02.08
    superk-talk-atmpd--noon--00.12
    superk-talk-tau--noon--00.12
    superk-paper-review--arnps--2001

I might think of:

    talks--superk-funding-doe--03.09
    talks--superk-funding-doe--02.08
    talks--superk-atmpd-noon--00.12
    talks--superk-tau-noon--00.12
    papers--superk-review-arnps--2001

If you use per-year archives as many people do, this might be broken
into:

   address@hidden:
       talks--superk-funding-doe--03.09
   address@hidden:
       talks--superk-funding-doe--02.08
   address@hidden:
       papers--superk-review-arnps--2001
   address@hidden:
       talks--superk-atmpd-noon--00.12
       talks--superk-tau-noon--00.12

[Remember, archive boundaries are for many purposes invisible to arch.]

-miles
--
Fast, small, soon; pick any 2.