[Gnu-arch-users] RFC: arch protocol, smart server, and tla implementatio

From: Colin Walters
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] RFC: arch protocol, smart server, and tla implementation prototypes
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2004 18:34:55 -0500

Hi,

I've been working on a "smart server" over the past few days.  There's a
lot to talk about, so I'll try to break it up into cleanly separated
parts.

First, "why a smart server?".  This has been discussed on the mailing
list in the past, but here's a far-from-exhaustive list of reasons:

o Ability to have a much more efficient protocol, avoiding server
  roundtrips
o Execute post-commit hooks on the server when a revision is committed
o Ability to have very flexible authentication and access control
o Removing the need for a shared Unix account for multiple committers
o Ability to record which revisions are accessed frequently, and
  dynamically adjusting cached revisions to match

Ok, now that that's out of the way, let's discuss the three major parts.

o Definition of an Arch Protocol - the wire by format which clients
  and servers communicate
o Prototype implementation of a server
o Prototype implementation of client functionality for tla

The status is that I am pretty close to being done with everything you
need for read-only functionality in all three of these, and writing is
coming along nicely as well.

Here's a quick sample of where I am now:

address@hidden> ./tla/tla whereis-archive address@hidden
arch://localhost
address@hidden> ./tla/tla abrowse address@hidden
address@hidden