Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Auto-registration

From: Robert Collins
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Auto-registration
Date: Sat, 07 Feb 2004 10:01:32 +1100

On Fri, 2004-02-06 at 07:49, Aaron Bentley wrote:
> On Thu, 2004-02-05 at 14:53, Robert Collins wrote:

> > That said, both tla grab, and config-manager's build support -nearly-
> > this already.
>
> "tla grab" looks like The Right Way, but it's severely under-documented,
> and also under-used.
>
> aba's all about doing things the easy way, not the right way.  It's
> about solving problems now, perhaps badly, rather than waiting for a
> Right answer.  I hope that it can serve as a testing ground for ideas,
> as a working prototype for functionality that might eventually get into
> tla.  But I recognize that easy access to The Wrong Answer can hinder
> the success of The Right Answer, and I do consider that a negative.
>
> Reliance on a central registry has pros and cons:
> - Uses identifiers instead of locations, so locations can vary

The local archive registry (~/.arch-params/\=locations) does this
already. This isn't a pro of a central registry.

> - Gives extra power to registrars

Which is an important con-sideration.

> I've also considered working on a geturl command, as the OP wanted.
> Why?  Because archive locations are required to exist, and grab files
> are not.  (But why not?  Can't they be automatically created as part of
> the archive?)

Urk. Both configs and grab files are orthogonal to the management of
source in an archive. I'd like to see grab deprecated for config-manager
in fact, but jblack and I need to get some time to compare current
notes, and ensure there are no features that will be lost etc.

Rob