[gnugo-devel] breakdown of GnuGo 3.2 in Goban

From: Mike Vaughn
Subject: [gnugo-devel] breakdown of GnuGo 3.2 in Goban
Date: Sat, 14 Dec 2002 18:39:02 -0500

Hi,

While being challenged by GnoGo and its clones on NNGS at handicap of 6 stones, I discovered Goban 4.8 for Mac OS X (Jaguar), and played
a couple of games with it on my 400MHz G4 with 320 MB RAM
running OS X 10.2.2.

In one game, it misread a ladder, quite far into the ladder, while taking
about 3 minutes per move (at level 10) on the above machine.

At the end of the game, it could not compute a final score, since it
was not able to determine life and death on the board, and the version
in Goban does not allow manual scoring (I extracted the SGF files
and used SmartGo to score the game by hand later).

I attach the game for your use.

Anyway, I haven't been able to find a way to exploit the program
consistently, although I did win one game out of about 10 at a
9 stone handicap, and am only winning about 1/3 at 6. So it
is a challenging program.

Keep up the good work. In a couple of years I may have more time,
and might get interested in this project.

Best wishes to all, and thanks especially to the Goban team, who have
made a really nice GUI and client on the Mac. It is great to see after
so many years of inactivity on the Mac front.

Mike Vaughn
6k* NNGS, 4k* IGS(new), 3k AGA