Re: [gnugo-devel] testcases

From: Evan Berggren Daniel
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] testcases
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2003 11:21:17 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 27 Feb 2003 address@hidden wrote:

> > At move 36, there are a couple of things on the board which
> > are even more urgent than M15. C6 is very imporant, and W
> > is threatening H4, which B might defend in a few different
> > ways, for example L4. I took this test out.
>
> As I thus explained that at move 36 there are two very urgent
> matters at the bottom of the board. I forgot to explain why
> M15 is less urgent. The stone at M17 is light. It can be
> given up without pain. If W plays at M16, the stone still
> has aji. After W:M16 black can play at H17 after which it
> still takes another move to capture the B stone. W will
> have played 5 moves resulting in an overconcentrated shape.
>
> By contrast, the stones at bottom are not light. B has
> invested a lot in capturing K3-K4, and in making life
> in the corner. (Probably W cannot kill the corner, but
> W can play C6 and B6 in sente. So I think L4 is more
> urgent than C6. However C6 is still more urgent than M15.)

OK, that makes sense.  My thinking behind M15 was that W K16 looks very
much like an overplay to me, and that B probably can get something from
that.  So I was looking at the local position at the top in writing the
test.  Is M15 the correct play locally?

> Given the urgency of the position at the bottom, B's tenuki at
> move 30 seems a better moment for a test. How about:
>
> loadsgf games/nngs/uno-gnugo-3.3.16-200302230528.sgf 30
> 320 restricted_genmove black C14 L4 C6
> #? [L4|C6]
>
> We might also want to allow J4 or H4 at this move. And this
> way of writing the test doesn't capture the idea that both
> L4 and C6 are more urgent than C14. So maybe:
>
> loadsgf games/nngs/uno-gnugo-3.3.16-200302230528.sgf 30
> 320 restricted_genmove black C14 L4 J4 H4
> #? [L4|J4|H4]
>
> 325 restricted_genmove black C14 C6
> #? [C6]

That does look better.  Is D2 worth considering?  It looks to me like it
defends the corner and also provides an alternate connection for the two
stones at H3.

Thanks

Evan Daniel