[gnugo-devel] Performance Increase by caching ladders and patterns

From: Chris Smith
Subject: [gnugo-devel] Performance Increase by caching ladders and patterns
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2003 14:17:17 -0600

Sometimes in a game a situation arises where a standard pattern is expected, such as a getta pattern or a ladder. The pattern matcher/ladder code is going to make sure that there are no ladder breakers/extra liberties before GnuGo pursues- however this is calculated after each move (correct?)

Would it be a good idea to simply have a 'scratchpad' of sorts to remember these situations on the board and earmark the points involved so that if say the other player lays down a ladder break GnuGo will instantly know that that will break ladder X and then evaluate whether to kill or let that one escape.

Ladders however are just an example, this could be extremely useful is where GnuGo reads ahead and makes some killer move to kill a set of stones (actually just matches some pattern). But could it 'remember' what pattern it was- and some of the subsequent variations, followups and/or what it thought about to arrive to that move?

This idea however should be debated because we wouldn't want to simply 'respond' to a move because it reminds GnuGo of something 50 moves ago, however it can be used to quickly give GnuGo an idea of its opponent is trying to do. Such as using the influence of one group to force a capture.

I know this seems a little abstract, however I am playing a game where a group in the corner has no chance of making eyes- however GnuGo seems to be taking almost two minutes per move when it probably has already read through all the possibilities.

Anyways, I was just wondering what your thoughts were on the subject.

-Chris Smith