[gnugo-devel] `twogtp.pike' updated

From: Paul Pogonyshev
Subject: [gnugo-devel] `twogtp.pike' updated
Date: 01 Dec 2003 02:20:14 +0000

I have updated the script in CVS.

Added a way to get statistics from engines.  This is done by sending
GTP commands to the engines after (and probably before - to reset)
every game.  Numeric statistics are totalized by the script
automatically.  There is an option to get the totals only.

So you can run the script like (see `./twogtp.pike --help-statistics'
for details) this:

   ./twogtp.pike -w '...' -b '...' -g 10 \
   --statistics 'get_owl_node_counter' \
   --reset 'reset_owl_node_counter'

I decided not to do anything GNU Go specific, because the script is
meant to work with any engine.

In case of node counters the simplest way to get the totals would be
to execute `get_*_node_counter' after the match is over, but i decided
to get statistics after each game because

  - some engines may reset internal counters on say `clear_board';

  - it is more robust in respect to engine crashes (the script can
    handle engine crashes);

  - it was easier, because i decided that per-game statistics were
    useful anyway ;)

I tested the patch by running a 30 games match between CVS (white) and
3.2 with handicap 3 and komi 5.5.  It seems that we (or rather Gunnar
:) have made a nice progress since 3.4 because CVS won 16:14.

Statistics showed that current versions use much less owl nodes, but
much more reading nodes (i didn't save the exact numbers).  I guess
the first is explained with all the tuning took place after 3.2, while
the second - with new modules and smaller pieces of code (notably,
connection reader).

Paul