Re: [gnugo-devel] owl attack moves and semeais

From: Gunnar Farneback
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] owl attack moves and semeais
Date: Sat, 10 Apr 2004 06:25:59 +0200

> 1. (*) is needed, but I have a systematic problem with it that shows in
> the above position: In all other places of the engine, when considering
> the effects of a black move, assuming white gets to move first everywhere
> else, we __do not care what would happen anywhere else if black had the first
> move there__. But the policy (*) doesn't have this property. It would really
> be nice to fix this.
> 2. Even if this gets fixed, I suppose we do need the improvement of my
> suggestion that semeai attacks don't get trusted blindly if the dragon
> can still be defended via a 2nd semeai.
>
> What do you think?

Well, do some experiments and see what breaks. The policy (*) was as
far as I got last time I tried to get the semeai analysis in order. I
do think it is fairly critical to at least  avoid doing systematic
mistakes in semeais which can be exploited.

Another thing which needs reconsideration and is somewhat related is
the concept of worm inessentiality. It has long ago played out its
original role but still affects the engine in a couple of ways which I
don't have full overview of.

/Gunnar