[gnugo-devel] GUI

From: Wolfgang Manner
Subject: [gnugo-devel] GUI
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2004 12:21:12 +0200 (CEST)

hello
it seems to me that people think gnugo is so lousy that it is not worth
while to play with it.
nevertheless i would like to learn more about your GUI:
what platform does it run on ?
which graphics package does it use ?
what can it do ?

i got into that business a 100 years ago simply because
cgoban 1 and jago did not do what i wanted:
you could not load a saved game and continue to play
you could not backspace/go forward
you could not force gnugo to play a move

so i modified jago to use gnugo mode ascii and do all that
i presume your GUI does all that as well

i admit that the first version was somewhat awkward, but
in the meantime it has improved and it even runs on
ordinary windows.

now i also have a gtk version, it runs on linux, but as far
as i can see, if you want to run it on windows, you will have
to download a lot.

both versions could be made to play other games as well
(of course you would need the engine for that)
also other go programs could run, if they support
some protocol as gtp (gmp would not do what i mentioned
already) but i guess you have the same problem

as far as merging my stuff with gnugo, well this is not
my decision

please let me know what you think
wolfgang