Re: [gnugo-devel] Possible test cases

From: bump
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] Possible test cases
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2004 16:43:22 -0700

Tom Schumm wrote:

> The first (2004-04-10-Shun9137-GnuGoCVS.sgf) is a useless throw-in in a dead
> group.  I was talking with Evan and he suggested it was probably a
> thrashing_dragon situation.  Even if the group had a chance to live though,
> the move made would not have been a useful attack on it and wasn't sente.
> Don't know if it's worth adding as a test case or not...

and:

> # A useless throw-in.  Gnugo has a huge lead, so it's probably a
> # thrashing_dragon, but the move in question wouldn't be an effective attack
> # even if the group had a chance to live, and it wasn't even sente.
> loadsgf games/kgs/2004-04-10-Shun9137-GnuGoCVS.sgf 243
> 70 gg_genmove black

Evan is right, it is our policy to attack thrashing dragons.
This is much better than the alternative, which is to tenuki
until finally GNU Go smells danger, by which time it is often
too late. So this is not a good test.

An interesting problem comes later on move 255, when the ONLY
move to kill is P1. Any other move (such as P6) allows B to
connect.

Dan