[Gnumed-devel] Re: next try at gmPhraseWheel

From: richard terry
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] Re: next try at gmPhraseWheel
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2002 19:02:09 +1000

A few comments, not necessarily in any order or logic.

1)case insensitivity should be the default. We are not nerds in linux here,
we are doctors searching for information. In fact I used to do the following
sort of logic - search by lower case on database lcase(databasefield), that
way you never have any problems.

2)The phrase wheel needs to be linked to a timer and the search DOES NOT
BEGIN until a pre-defined interval has been reached.

I think I chose 300msec, but it would need to be adjusted to the users typing
speed.

The reasons are as follows:
-we usually know what information we are after eg if I type hyper AND THEN
the phrase wheel starts to search, you are not making repetitive and
unecessary calls to your database, and the subset of words returned in the
recordset will be small, even with an instring search - because additionally
remember, you should be searching on  either weighted data, or in some
situations a start string search on indexed data

Will send more as I think of them.

Regards