[Gnumed-devel] comments about swing

From: sjtan
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] comments about swing
Date: 05 Apr 2003 01:24:20 +1000

>From TB reply to Horst:

Examples for portable graphical user interface toolkits:
1.Swing (Java standard GUI library)=20
2.QT (http://www.trolltech.no)=20
3.wxWindows (http://wxwindows.org)=20
4.Tk (http://www.scriptics.com)=20
5.Web interface (HTML standard compliant)=20
TB: Some of these, while free, have been found to be poor technically,
mainly Swing. Any software, whether free or not will eventually incur
some cost. Poor technical choices often incur high maintenance costs.

I recently used Netbeans to construct a Swing version of the RACGP
summary sheet :  Swing is a little involved to learn, and some of
the interfaces for its Table component is a little complicated,
(e.g. some things like tables and textareas have to be explicitly placed
in scroll panes to make them work as expected) , and Swing comes up
with some wierd bugs, so it helps to do the Swing tutes, especially
about the layout managers ( especially GridBagLayout), but once
you have an IDE like netbeans, it's not that hard to use and you
can build really detailed user interfaces with it, and they re-size
automatically when the window is re-sized. (because layout isn't
hard coded to absolute positions, but according to a hierarchy of
containers, their layout managers, and sub-components/containers.
)

I don't think Swing is a poor technical choice.