Re: GCC Framework support in Linux (fwd)

From: Adam Fedor
Subject: Re: GCC Framework support in Linux (fwd)
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2003 09:53:22 -0600

On Monday, August 11, 2003, at 03:24 PM, Stefan Urbanek wrote:

Pershaps we should begin with explicitly answering few, even some of them with obvious answers, questions:

1. What are the differences between GNUstep and Applie framework structure?
2. How to find a binary or headers in a framework?
3. What are the differences for standard framework locations in GNUstep and Apple?
4. How to specify frameworks and their locations? (-f -F)
5. How to tell gcc which GNUstep combo to use for searching executable? (if it is necessary at all)
6. ...

I think it is probably a good start to answer these questions.

1. I don't think there are any differences (see below, though), but we might want to think about how gcc users in general would want to use frameworks. Assuming someone would want to group files and headers together, would they want the main directory to have a .framework extension? Could that be configurable? How about the Headers directory? Isn't it more normal to have a "include" directory?

2. I don't think binaries are covered in the patch that was submitted. This is also more difficult because it involves interaction and/or modification with the linker as well.

3. GNUstep doesn't have standard framework locations (only default locations), and I can't see that the general gcc community would ever agree on a standard framework location. I think we'll always have to use the -F flags to add these...

5. This could be a problem. I think it would be very hard to deal with the library-combo/cpu/os include structure, now that we have extended this to Headers as well. Perhaps we need to rethink that part ourselves.