Re: patch: executable modules support with "guile -e ENTRYPOINT"

From: Marius Vollmer
Subject: Re: patch: executable modules support with "guile -e ENTRYPOINT"
Date: Sun, 05 Oct 2003 17:49:47 +0200

Thien-Thi Nguyen <address@hidden> writes:

> the patch to libguile/script.c below extends the guile interpreter's
> handling of "-e ENTRYPOINT" to support "executable modules".  before,
> ENTRYPOINT named a procedure only.  now, you can additionally specify:
>
>       -e "(some module)"              -- proc assumed to be "main"
>       -e "(some module) some-proc"

I think that's a very good idea.  Indeed, I think it is so good that
we should not reserve it for the -e option and should instead find a
general syntax for writing non-local names.  Your proposed syntax
"MODULE-NAME PROC-NAME" does not work in Scheme code, but what about

  (:: MODULE-NAME BINDING-NAME)

i.e.

  (:: (my module) start)

or maybe

  (:: my module start)

if that is unambiguous enough.  Or maybe with ':' instead of '::'.
What do other Schemes do?

Such a syntax could be used both in Scheme code itself and with the -e
option.

Implementing this needs a bit more thought, but should be doable.  We
need something like this anyway for a correct integration of
syntax-case with the module system.

So what do people say?