[Help-gnu-radius] checkrad (Simultaneous-Use) with multiple gnu-radius

From: Mark Mentovai
Subject: [Help-gnu-radius] checkrad (Simultaneous-Use) with multiple gnu-radius servers
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2003 10:32:50 -0400

Hello, Sergey and friends.

I'm setting up some gnu-radius servers to handle authentication for
my remote access equipment.  My architecture involves multiple
RADIUS servers sharing the load equally.

Because gnu-radius' checkrad uses radutmp, the naïve approach to
performing simultaneous use checking will not work for me.  If a
Start accounting packet for a user goes to one RADIUS server, but a
subsequent authentication packet goes to another, the RADIUS server
will not know that a session may already be in progress.  Obviously,
this is a problem.

I'm thinking that a workaround would be for me to send all
accounting packets to a central server which would then relay them
to the real RADIUS servers.  Is this feasible?  Is this something
anyone has done?  Can gnu-radius handle the relaying itself?

I appreciate any ideas anyone might have.  Thanks,
Mark