better dependency generation 2

From: Nicholas Charles Leippe
Subject: better dependency generation 2
Date: Thu, 05 Jul 2001 11:30:43 -0600 (MDT)

I'm thinking over the proposed remedies,
Paul lists and I've found one that won't work
as described for what I'm attempting.

The first one, 'Avoiding Re-exec of make'
relies on the assumption that "we don't need
the up-to-date prerequisite list in this
build..."  While this is true for most
projects, it is no longer true in the case
where some of the included headers are auto
generated files.  An incorrect build could
result if the dependency between a .cpp file
and an autogenerated file (.ui.h if you've
followed my earlier threads) if the .h
file's source has changed, and the .cpp's
dependency on the .h is new.  This would be
totally unacceptable.

Any ideas on how to gaurantee a correct
build while avoiding a re-exec of make in
this case?