[RFC] time for makecc?

From: Samium Gromoff
Subject: [RFC] time for makecc?
Date: Fri, 06 Feb 2004 19:12:10 +0300

Make does expand implicit rules, patterns, $(eval $(call)) constructs, etc.

In the end the whole thing become somewhat undeterministic as far as human
perception goes.

And make -p (print the rule database) does not help, as its a tangled mess
of funky s**t---many little twisty passages, all different.

So, i propose to create a Makefile compiler, which will create simpler makefiles
with following properties from the base complex version:

        - no implicit rules
        - no patterns
        - no eval/call constructs
        - everything else is left intact
        - all of the expansions in the resulting makefile have to be made
in-place

I do realise that the resulting makefile will be strictly bound to the existing
file set present in the file tree at the time of compilation -- and that is
perfectly ok, for we still have the makefile source and can recompile.

What do you think?

All feedback, either positive or negative is extremely welcome.

regards, Samium Gromoff

P.S. The initial reason i`ve got thinking in this direction is a critical make
bug in
the current release. This bug is fixed in the latest unstable debian make
release,
but may other distributions suffer from that. And yeah, i`ve got hit by it,
because
my code used the buggy $(eval $(call )) feature. Hence i wanted a way to have a
larger makefile which a) is generated from the complex version b) does exactly
the
same thing c) is primitive enough that it works :-)