Re: advanced auto-dependencies

From: Boris Kolpackov
Subject: Re: advanced auto-dependencies
Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2004 13:00:16 -0600

Hi Greg,

> Here, it appears that the top-level language is not C++ but
> rather 'idl', which uses C++ as an intermediate language.

Well, I don't quite agree with your terminology but I understand
what you are talking about.

> If that's the case, then you'll need a tool that generates
> dependency files from .idl files--automatically generating
> dependencies among intermediate C++ files isn't enough.

If you look in my original post you will see that I explicitly
provide this information:

hello_stub.hpp hello_stub.cpp : hello.idl
        idlc hello.idl

If make knows that 'client.o' depends on 'hello_stub.hpp' then it
has all it needs to know.

hth,
-boris