Re: LaTeX to TeXinfo

From: Fred L. Drake, Jr.
Subject: Re: LaTeX to TeXinfo
Date: Thu, 5 Dec 2002 18:59:08 -0500

Karl Berry writes:
 >     Is there a program to convert a LaTeX document to a TeXinfo document?
 >
 > I can't give you an exact reference, but a couple months ago Fred Drake,
 > the python documentation maintainer, wrote to bug-texinfo and said they
 > maintain their doc in LaTeX, but convert it to Texinfo.
 >
 > Fred, can you help?

I can certainly point out what we have at this time.

The Python documentation is maintained in LaTeX using an extensive
custom markup package (documentation is available as "Documenting
Python" at http://www.python.org/doc/current/doc/doc.html), integrated
with a custom layout using a couple of LaTeX classes.

There are contributed scripts which convert the LaTeX to TeXinfo for
the specific purpose of generating GNU info documents, which we still
get requests for.  The state of the conversion is highly questionable
at this point, and I'm highly dependent on external contributions to
maintain it, since TeXinfo and the related tools are outside my area
of knowledge.

The conversion tools are available as part of the Python source
distribution (see the Doc/ directory), or in a separate distribution
of the LaTeX version of the docs (see the LaTeX package at
http://www.python.org/doc/current/download.html).  These are available
in the module python/dist/src/Doc from Python's CVS repository as
well.

Within the Doc/ directory, take a look at the tools/mkinfo script.
This calls out to FSF Emacs (XEmacs won't work, unfortunately) to
conver the LaTeX to TeXinfo using Emacs Lisp, and then GNU makeinfo to
generate the actual GNU info documents.  The conversion is less than
ideal, but may be the best format available for people running
Emacs/OS.

The Emacs Lisp conversion code is primarily table driven, so it
shouldn't be too difficult to adapt to different LaTeX markup
constructs.  Feel free to contact me at address@hidden, or
send questions to the Python Documentation Special Interest group at
address@hidden

  -Fred

--
Fred L. Drake, Jr.  <fdrake at acm.org>