Input parser

From: Hans Kieserman
Subject: Input parser
Date: Mon, 08 Jul 2002 11:25:20 -0700

I am interested in working on importing Lilypond files into a sequencer/graphical notation editor. The task is somewhat daunting : )

In the opinions of experts, is this possible within reasonable expectations? Is there a recommended mode of attack, i.e. somehow reuse the lilypond parser vs. attempt to maintain a "parallel" codebase? (How closely tied to output is the input processor?) Or is it complicated enough that lilypond->MIDI->Import is the recommended path?

A related question is if anyone could give an estimation as to how much of the complexity is display-specific notation (vs. simply encoding notes and their characteristics). This application does not particularly depend on pretty-printing, so is it possible to discard any meaningfully-large parts of the syntax in hopes of easier coding?

I have written a very simple C++ parser as an exercise, but as with most things, the first step is significantly easier than the "usual case".

Thanks,
Hans