Re: Question about condensed score

From: Flaming Hakama by Elaine
Subject: Re: Question about condensed score
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2023 15:10:50 -0400

From: Rip _Mus <ripetizioni.musica@gmail.com>
To: Flaming Hakama by Elaine <elaine@flaminghakama.com>
Bcc:
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2023 17:45:27 +0200
Thanks for sharing your workflow, that's what I was afraid I'd have to do.
While waiting for other possible answers, I would like to ask you what problems, if any, your approach presents when you go to elaborate the parts.

I find part combining by itself to be difficult, such as fiddling with
stem direction, combining or placing rests, and removing dynamic markings.

But for this use case of combining only when there is no content,
there should not have any downsides.

The only extra work in your case is to create the combined rest part,
which will be something like this, in this example the assumption is
that you have 10 bars of music, then 10 bars of rest, then 10 bars of music

combinedRests = {
s1*10
<>\tweak stencil ##f \mp R1*10
s1*10
}

When I do need to do part combining I will often have two variables
for each instrument, one for the part and one for combining.

If there are sections that can use the same content, I will break the
music up into separate variables for each section, some of which will
be shared content, and some which will be specific to the part or combined
variable, then just add the variables in sequence.

Another approach is to use tags, so within the music variable
when necessary there will be 2 sets of content, each in a different tag,

Elaine Alt
415 . 341 .4954                                           "Confusion is highly underrated"
elaine@flaminghakama.com
Producer ~ Composer ~ Instrumentalist ~ Educator