Using a custom bitmap as a character?

From: Alasdair McAndrew
Subject: Using a custom bitmap as a character?
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2023 21:27:35 +1000

I am slowly creating a font to be used for tablature ... so far I have bitmaps of a couple of characters.  I'd like to try them out and get an idea how they look.  Is there any way I can replace a character with a small scaled bitmap?

I know that Lilypond doesn't support bitmapped fonts, but as I haven't got a font file yet that doesn't matter - eventually I'll create a TTF file.  All I want to do now is to create tablature where some of the letters are replaced by my own bitmaps.

Can this be done?

Thanks,
Alasdair

--