Re: Slurs within chords, and dotted notes

From: Joel C. Salomon
Subject: Re: Slurs within chords, and dotted notes
Date: Sun, 7 Jan 2024 14:16:02 -0500

Reposting for clarity as to what I’m asking.

In the second case below, instead of the slur attaching to the specific note, it moves vertically—I assume, to avoid collision with the duration dot.  (Though it’s interesting that a tie does not mind overlapping the dot, as in the fourth case.)

In the second case, how can I either—

Obvious searches like [lilypond chord slur dotted note] do not turn up mention of this, or of any tweak to avoid this.  Any hints?

—Joel C. Salomon

```
\version "2.25.11"

\fixed c' {
  % undotted note: slur attaches correctly
  <c e g(>2
  <d f a)> |

  % dotted note: slur is moved vertically
  \once \override Slur.avoid-slur = #'ignore    % does nothing
  <c e g(>2.
  <d f a)>4 |

  % undotted note tie for comparison
  <c e g~>2 q |

  % dotted note tie for comparison: slur overlaps dot
  <c e g~>2. q4 |
}
```