Re: Question about voltas and repeats

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: Question about voltas and repeats
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2024 19:57:53 -0400

Hi Lucas,

I was told by people with a far deeper understanding of Lilypond’s than mine
that trying to abstract the volta map is undesireable — it should be explicitly
included in every music expression that it intersects with.

Cheers,
Kieren.

> On Mar 12, 2024, at 7:00 PM, Lucas Cavalcanti <lucaspinke@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hello. I've been thinking about Lilypond's usage on parts: for one musician
> (for example, the singer singing the melody) I'd like to give them a score
> containing voltas using the repeat and volta commands; for another musician
> (for example, the drummer) I'd like to give them a score with no repeats and
> voltas. I know that if I'd like to create a full-band score (i.e a grid) I
> can use the \unfoldRepeats at every variable, creating one straight through
> score.
>
> However, is it possible to create something like a "Tempo Map" of sorts? Like
> a part/variable that gives instructions to the master grid to create repeats
> and voltas without the need to create new parts?
>
> My objective is to figure out a way to create independent grid scores from
> musician part scores. To give a singer one straight, 6 pages score, to give a
> drummer a 1 page score and to give the conductor a 4 page score.
> Is that possible?
>
> Best regards, Lucas.
> <Question.pdf><Question.ly>

My work day may look different than your work day. Please do not feel obligated
to read or respond to this email outside of your normal working hours.