make-w32

make keeps directory open after $(wildcard ..) test

From: dave russo
Subject: make keeps directory open after $(wildcard ..) test
Date: Mon, 03 Dec 2001 16:52:34 -0800

The following problem occurs on Win2k versions of make.  I suspect that it also occurs on WinNT 4.x but I have not verified this.

Date: Sat, 01 Dec 2001 14:07:51 -0800
To: address@hidden
From: dave russo <address@hidden>
Cc: Dave Russo <address@hidden>

The following makefile will *not* remove the directory package on Win2k machines:
ifeq (,$(wildcard package))
    $(shell mkdir package)
endif

ifeq (,$(wildcard package/cfg))
    $(shell mkdir package/cfg)
endif

clean:
        @rm -rf package

The error message returned by make is:
rm: cannot remove directory "package": The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process.
gmake: *** [clean] Error 1
It appears that the "ifeq (,$(wildcard package/cfg))" statement results in the package directory being opened but not closed.  The "rm -rf" fails due to an access violation; the rm process finds that the directory package is open by gmake itself.

This occurs in versions 3.78.1 and 3.79.1 of make on Win2k.  I've tried using both cygnus and MKS version rm.